Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Marching For Trash # 2

Before I leave to get married tomorrow, (Saturday is the big day!) I wanted to drop one of my jewels from back in the day- the second issue of my attempt to do a "personal zine". I can remember feverishly working on MFT # 1, in an apartment that Joe Martin, Patrick Winter, and myself co-habitated in for about thirty seconds in the summer of 1990. (I'll try to post it, I think the originals are in the garage) However, the second issue was obviously a reworking of my worship for two zines, Cometbus, by Aaron Cometbus, which was an East Bay zine about day to day stuff, coffee, travel, etc. And, of course, Sam Mcpheeter's Dear Jesus. Which along with Born against and his Vermiform label, were arguably one of the biggest influences on the ABC No Rio scene's aesthetic and outlook. As I reflect on the time of Marching For Trash # 2, I see a sad little morbidly obese kid who couldn't get laid, a job, or find his way in the world. I also see the stirrings of the person that I am today- Idealistic, Positive, dark, Creative, Good. I just wanted to be loved, is that so wrong????

The thing I'm most proud of is the "Fat City, USA- Fear Of A Fat Planet" piece. In my film school days, I would turn that concept into a whole film. I know that while we paid it lip service, both me and Joe were sick of being teased and tormented, I know I was. I'm proud of Marching For Trash # 2. I wouldn't be the person I am today without having experienced that period.















5 comments:

  1. One of the greatest fanzines ever... but you should have scanned each page full size and pdf or cbr 'ed it...

    Dave K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on each image and it will open up on a much larger image that you can scroll through and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, my fine fellow...you really need scan each page and have it assembled for a download...let me know when you get back and I'll help you with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of great fanzines: Hey Dave, why don't you put up some issues of IN MEMORY OF or HARDWARE on the Blog. Full size/pdf & cbr'ed off course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave- that would be a great help for this and future posts! You mean having them in one of those file sharing thingamabobs?

    ReplyDelete